Thursday, March 16, 2017

Zappa: A Biography by Barry Miles


In beginning this book, I was immediately interested. Frank Zappa remains one of my favorite musicians and when the opportunity to learn more about him presented itself, I jumped at the chance. Barry Miles knew Zappa personally, and subsequently the book is saturated with a wide variety of facts about him, both professional and social.

Reading this book, I was delighted to learn more about the stories behind some of Zappa's greatest work. His tendency to mock culture is evident in many songs, including those that poke fun at stars like Jimi Hendrix, and the "hippie culture" Zappa hated. What I found most interesting was Barry Mile's vivid descriptions of Frank Zappa's personality. I had always pictured the musician as a solely goofy, fun-loving performer. Reading this work enlightened me that Zappa was intolerant of those with poor work ethic and had little emotion. He spent all his time writing music, avoiding social contact and spewing cynicism.

I feel that taking the time to read this biography is worthwhile. As a lover of music, this book felt like the perfect look inside the world of all things Zappa. Barry Mile's thorough history of Frank's childhood and up until his fight with cancer leaves the reader feeling educated as well as personally connected to the work they have just finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment